View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #8
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Default Re: "The Price Of Freedom Is High." The Chris Evans/Captain America Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsplasher View Post
I REALLY hope he does and that there will be a bit more screen time for Cap' because in Avengers he's not really present in the movie except for the Battle of New York .

Yep , I'm sure that with a great script , Evans could be prized IMO
Eh, I disagree strongly here. He's got the most screentime out of any of the others, and he appears more in actual Cap costume than in TFA. If any of the Avengers were "not really present" in the first team up movie, it was either Thor or Hawkeye.

I think where people stumble with Cap in the Avengers is that his role isn't nearly as flashy as RDJ's or as novel as Ruffalo's. You have to hear his dialogue and delivery though to really see how well Evans and Whedon captured Cap, personality-wise if not fighting mode. Whedon and Evans both NAILED the 40's style rhythm and Man Out of Time aspect of Steve Rogers; Evans, particularly, infused his voice with this kind of charming, old-fashioned cadence that worked so, so well to convey where Cap came from. He actually sounded like a soldier from the 1940's, almost kind of a John Wayne-ish tone.

It's way more subtle, but it's a character detail that I love about The Avengers, and in a lesser actor/writer, it would've gotten lost in the shuffle. But Whedon wrote Cap/Steve far differently from the others and Chris gave a pitch perfect delivery.

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote