View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #16
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Default Re: "The Price Of Freedom Is High." The Chris Evans/Captain America Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
We really don't have a Capt. America thread? For shame!

Chris Evans really came a long way, from doing comedies and Fantastic Four to Capt. America, and through this superhero role I have slowly changed my perception of him. I think in The Avengers, he didn't seemed like he was the true leader of The Avengers but merely the de facto one, and I hope after TWS the GA will recognize the greatness of this character and in TA2 he will become the kind of hero that others will look up to. I want Capt. America to achieve the kind of respect he has in the comic books and I think this movie will finally give it to him.
Chris definitely has come a long way since his early days. He was perfect as Johnny Storm, too, but his work as Steve Rogers shows a depth and maturity that suits the role completely. When his casting was first announced there were a lot of fans online who thought that Chris could only play comedy, that old argument that an actor is essentially playing himself on screen so he can't possibly adapt to a different character. He proved all of those detractors wrong by giving a thoughtful, restrained performance in Captain America: The First Avenger. Although I adore Robert Downey Jr., I have to admit that Chris's performance in that film is my favorite of any of the main actors in the MCU. He managed to capture the essence of Captain America while avoiding the trap of making him stiff or boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
I think there was a Chris Evans' character threadů but in the TFA forum

Good call Xeno! He's come such a long way working with Marvel, not just in his portrayal of Steve Rogers, which is my absolute favorite among the cast, but also as an actor. Evans is doing some of his best work in recent years, and he's shining on the red carpet and getting better with the whole publicity thing, something that he's been endearingly awkward with ever since he started working.

Anyways, I do think you're right; I think CA:TWS will be the start of Cap's actual ascension to leader of the MCU. Everything so far seems to be pointing in that direction.
I agree, Chris has been growing into his role as a star, as well as blossoming as an actor. Back when he accepted the role he spoke often about how daunting the prospect of becoming well-known was for him. He really did not embrace fame the way that some actors do, which is understandable because he seems to be a thoughtful, very private person at heart. Now, however, Chris is definitely more comfortable in his own skin. You can see it in the way he holds himself and hear it in his openness with interviewers. As someone who has had social phobias myself, I really love seeing Chris become comfortable doing the press junkets and appearances. Sometimes you do have to struggle and "fake it to make it," but the effort is more than worth it.

As for Captain Rogers himself, he, too, seems to be coming into his own. Chris's portrayal of Steve Rogers has also grown in self-assurance through each appearance. The trailers make it clear that Cap is going to be much more of a dynamic leader from here on out. He has the strong character and strength of will to pull together a team of equally-powerful personalities and get them to follow his commands. Chris may never shout "Avengers Assemble!" in the films, but if he does I'm sure he'll make the battle cry sound authentic and not at all corny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
Seriously Chris Evans is so damn prefect in this role. I'm so happy that he got casted rather than a very big named actor who may look the part but doesn't have an ounce of humility.
The only big names I saw being thrown around for the role were Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio. They're both great actors but neither would have fit the role. There was also that Krasinski dude who was a major dodged bullet, but he's not a "name" actor.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote