View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #224
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Google did a study of the factors that can be used to predict the box office performance of films that found the user ratings on RT/Flixter to be a much more reliable predictor of weekend grosses. Critics' reviews/ratings had a negligible impact on earnings. This makes sense because people are generally more swayed by the reactions of their peers to films than to reviews.

In that same vein, reaction on Twitter, Facebook and other social media probably have more impact than RT scores. Word of mouth from the general audience, good or bad, affects people's interest in movies. That is why Marvel's early screenings are a brilliant strategy for this film. By showing it to select audiences and encouraging them to spread their reactions on social media, the studio is getting good buzz going before reviews even hit. Assuming that the majority who see CATWS will enjoy it, the reactions will generate invaluable publicity that will far outweigh the importance of critics' ratings.

Quantifying Movie Magic Research Studies
Oh wow! What an interesting read. The funny thing is, I never check the reader reviews for movies. I actually only look at the critic's reviews. But even then it's out of curiosity and hope that the movie is doing well.

Really food for thought, there!