View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #242
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier Box Office Prediction Thread

I'm bringing this article Xeno linked to in the news and spec thread, as it's pretty relevant to reviews/BO prognostication--

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...df&chrome=true

It's a pretty interesting read, re. the reliance on social media metrics and reader reviews on sites like RT, that reader reviews and peer reactions might have a bigger impact on the GA and B.O. returns than previously thought.

Certainly not discounting the influence of critics, especially the top critics and the well-regarded blog/magazine/website critics whose livelihoods are based on purportedly objective analysis into the quality of the films they watch, but the research is noteworthy that, in recent years, the critical response to films may not have as big an impact on viewers than before.

However, I guess it could also be said that critical reviews impact social media and viewer opinions, even subconsciously. When a movie garners amazing critical attention, that leads to more and more buzz about it across all media networks. See, The LEGO Movie, Catching Fire, Frozen, etc…. I mean, you still see critic's choice trailers for all these movies. So, maybe all of it builds on each other.

*hope that makes sense, in light of I've only had one cup of coffee so far this morning and might not be fully awake to properly comment*