View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #449
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Honestly, the only Robin I ever consistently liked was Tim Drake. He didn't just bring purpose to Robin, but brought the perfect amount of balance to all aspects of Robin. He really is a mini Batman (minus the insanity), is very mature for his age, is a great detective, still cracks jokes but knows when to get serious, etc. He is a terrific character. He deserves every single amount of respect Bruce does.
Drake's my favorite too. I like Dick better as Nightwing. Can't stand Jason Todd or any other Robin in the comics.

That's why i liked Blake, he reminded me more of Tim Drake than the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I thought Dick's Robin was generic and two-dimensional. All the "happy go lucky" Robin stereotypes come from his Robin. The thing is that up until about the 70's/80's, most of DC's characters had no character whatsoever. The majority could be summed up to "I'm a superhero and I protect you from evil, random citizen!" By the time DC took the more Marvel route and made their characters more 3D, Dick was already Nightwing.

However, even modern writers still struggle with Dick's Robin due to that. I've even seen some writers write him almost exactly as if he was Tim Drake. It's a Catch-22. On one hand, you can't write his Robin more like Tim's because there already exists a Tim and Dick's Robin is still considered "happy go lucky" within canon. On the other hand, Dick's Robin is also dated in that sense.

Even his origin is dated IMO. I don't know anyone who goes to the circus anymore. It's a dying attraction.