View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #464
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
The problem with TDKR's ending is it contradicts the previous two movies. Bruce never ever intended to retire and pass on the Batman mantle to someone else. Batman was supposed to inspire Gotham's people into rising up out of apathy. Fixing their own city after being inspired by Batman's example that their city doesn't belong to criminals.

TDKR just had him pass the buck to some rookie he hardly knows a day.
So if im in my 20s and i come up with a way of doing something but i grow older, and next thing you know im 40 and have gone through all kinds of experiences. Growth happens. Mindsets change. So im 40 and i decide to live my life in a completely new way, maybe even a new set of beliefs for example. But of course im wrong for doing so?

That would be a ridiculous thing to tell me. That im contradicting myself, whether it's true or not, is irrelevant. People grow and learn, and things have to change if you're going to grow.

But Bruce DOES inspire people. Just like he wanted originally. The threat in the Nolanverse starts with organized crime, the corrupt cops. That's what he tries to change. He finally gets every cop in town on his side. They're citizens too. But there's a limit. Criminals will still roam, and not every citizen will stand up. It never will. So Batman has to keep going in some form. Even if it's not physical but as some spirit that watches over the city, reminding everyone of the Batman. But it probably WILL be physical because Blake is there incase.

Bruce realizes that his health, and his future is more important than going out himself until he's in his 50s. He can barely do it now as it is. So he sets up a successor. His future is the most important part though. Alfred reminds him of his humanity, so does Selina.

Bruce Wayne was naive in his 20s. He thought he could fix all of Gotham, and they would all stand up. But life doesn't work that way. It's not just black and white. He grows up and learns through life experiences that there will always be criminality. They will always need some kind of inspiration even when Batman isn't around. So saving Gotham and "dying" in the process is the best way to send that message. Blake is just the insurance policy, and we dont even know if he'll actually go out there. That's actually irrelevant in the grand scheme of everything.

So there is no problem. It comes down to people seeing a certain batman in their mind, agreeing or not agreeing with the end. Nothing more, nothing less.

There is no wrong way of doing it. It's an interpretation, like any interpretation from a comic, cartoon or other Batman movie.