View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #474
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well said, Joker . If there is anything I have to add to add to that, it's the following: There is a difference between a character changing his/her mind and the movie changing its mind. TDK as a film makes it perfectly clear why Bruce won't, can't, and shouldn't quit being Batman. Had Bruce still come to that realization with the film either being more ambiguous about Bruce's change of heart or putting more emphasis in the flaws behind his reasoning, maybe I would have bought it more.

And Shauner, those were separate statements I made. I said the ending was "wrong" because I didn't think it fit in the context of the franchise. And I said it goes against the essence completely because I think it's very poorly thought out. Yes, not everything has to be true to the comics. Heck, Batman as we know him wouldn't exist if deviations from the source were never encouraged. However, there is a difference between deviating for creative/intelligent reasons and being different just for the sake of being different. I think TDKR's ending dumbs down Batman's complex psychology and motivation to "He can just get over it" and robs him of one of his most interesting aspects, but that's something I already discussed. I'm not saying you can't do that, but just because you can change something without anyone stopping you doesn't mean it's a good idea in the first place. And again, that doesn't mean all changes are bad either.