View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 06:47 AM   #22
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: "The Price Of Freedom Is High." The Chris Evans/Captain America Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
Seriously Chris Evans is so damn prefect in this role. I'm so happy that he got casted rather than a very big named actor who may look the part but doesn't have an ounce of humility.
I remember being one of the first people to get behind him as Captain America before his casting was official. He wasn't as universally accepted here as Cap initially. Many people didn't think he had the talen for the role. Boy do I like being right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
Eh, I disagree strongly here. He's got the most screentime out of any of the others, and he appears more in actual Cap costume than in TFA. If any of the Avengers were "not really present" in the first team up movie, it was either Thor or Hawkeye.

I think where people stumble with Cap in the Avengers is that his role isn't nearly as flashy as RDJ's or as novel as Ruffalo's. You have to hear his dialogue and delivery though to really see how well Evans and Whedon captured Cap, personality-wise if not fighting mode. Whedon and Evans both NAILED the 40's style rhythm and Man Out of Time aspect of Steve Rogers; Evans, particularly, infused his voice with this kind of charming, old-fashioned cadence that worked so, so well to convey where Cap came from. He actually sounded like a soldier from the 1940's, almost kind of a John Wayne-ish tone.

It's way more subtle, but it's a character detail that I love about The Avengers, and in a lesser actor/writer, it would've gotten lost in the shuffle. But Whedon wrote Cap/Steve far differently from the others and Chris gave a pitch perfect delivery.
I think when watching Avengers, people miss the forest from the trees. They see people eating up Hulk and Iron Man cereal, and not seeing the same degree of awesome from their friends and such means Cap got short changed. Cap's role in the film was different. Cap wears a spangly outfit, but he isn't flashy. Cap was their on a mission and sought to get everyone in line. He had to earn their respect, and I think Cap more than gets his due in the movie (particularly during the Chitari invasion). In many ways, Cap was the soul of the movie.The only part I agree makes Cap look weak is being held off by that one guy with a gun. I think they should have made it more than 1 henchman (like, 8 or something). Other than that, I think Cap did well in Avengers. Heck, I even love the Avengers Cap outfit!

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote