View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #583
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
Well I agree with you guys 100% here on wanting a director's cut. Not because I was disappointed with the film but because I thought it could've been even better with added scenes. I don't know what their reasons were for such a short runtime but this was definitely not a case of "less is more".
I agree. I really liked the movie but it looks and sounds like there were more of the good things to be had. Unfortunately I don't think there's any chance of seeing a different cut since they haven't done that before and the movie is supposed to work in a larger story, so it kind of has to be consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
Well to each his own. It's funny because I felt the opposite about MOS. Two invulnerable beings punching the living tar out of each other for 20 minutes while making stuff blow up was beyond boring. And I usually love that kind of stuff. I'm not saying I never want things to be serious but I also like a bit of variety in the films I watch. The Dark Knight did serious successfully. Man of Steel did not IMO.

Also saying that a comic book movie should never have comedy in serious situations is a little absurd to me. How many comics have I read growing up where characters are cracking jokes during battles involving massive amounts of destruction?
I agree with this as well. Not only was it invulnerable beings fighting on and on without anything happening to them, they also avoided to break up the monotony with proper character elements, challenges or humor.

Superman is a very compassionate hero so it would have been so much better if Zod was the only one bent on death and destruction, and Superman instead did his best to try to save people and avoid destruction. He could have failed, because being compassionate is not being the most effective, but he'd be much more of a character for it and he would have a visible challenge instead of them both just being invulnerable and uncaring. Humor would have been too much to ask for since the entire movie takes itself very seriously (too seriously imo).

I could have done without some of Darcy's stuff but I'd sooner take that dynamic on top of the rest rather than none at all. I find the train scene brilliant. It fits with the plot and it's a great little wink to how everything works out just so right in most movies.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote