View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #595
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
Man I could write an essay on why Man of Steel failed to do all the things you just stated but others (including Mark Waid writer of Superman Birthright) have already done so.
Agree to disagree on this one, as a huge Superman fan (though overall I am more of a Marvel guy) MOS got a lot more right than wrong and I could write an essay on what it got right as well.

Quote:
As far as Thor the comic - I don't know what you've read but I've read Thor starting with Journey Into Mystery 83 and throughout its history it has been loaded with humor and even just older comics in general. I'd have to dig through my collection to find examples but there's a lot of goofy but fun stuff. A lot of newer comics are filled with fake pathos and orangey palettes and nonsense and honestly comics have come a long way from being for all ages which is why the industry has suffered. But that's another discussion and I don't want to come across as an old codger. There is also a lot of awesome new stuff as well. (I really enjoy guys like Straczynski, Hickman and Brubaker etc. so I don't want you to think I'm stuck in the past.)

Listen fellas no one's putting a gun to your head saying you have to like this movie. But if you are going to trash it, don't expect everyone to agree with you. Thor is a character with limited appeal (it was never a hot seller like Spidey or X-Men or Batman) but Thor 2 is Marvel Studios' third highest grossing film behind Avengers and Iron Man 3 and other than Batman, Spider-Man, Iron Man and Superman is the only solo comic character to crack half a billion. It did this in November. Pretty impressive. What that means is there are a lot of people who liked the film and liked the characterization and liked the humor.
Yeah the Avengers had nothing to with it did it? Come on man both Iron Man 3 AND Thor 2 got a HUGE boost from the goodwill that The Avengers drummed up, THATS why it made the money it did in November. Without TA it wouldnt have made as much money and that is just plain truth. A lot of people were disappointed in the movie as well and thats why we are complaining, so hopefully Marvel listen and address those complaints.

I wouldnt say Thor is a character with limited appeal anymore either, not after the 1st movie (which I loved) or TA.

Quote:
Personally I loved the film. It is my second favorite Marvel film from any studio and third favorite CBM. Reviews I know were somewhat middling and I'm under no illusions that everyone feels the same as I do. I'm fine with the criticisms though and I hope if Marvel's listening they will make Thor 3 blow this one out of the water.
Cool, I am honestly glad you like it, wish I felt the same.

Quote:
What bothers me is people expecting to everything be like their definition of what they think a good film is. If you prefer the tone of films like Man of Steel knock yourself out. DC is making more movies. A friend of mine really liked Thor but complained about some of the humor at the end. He went and highly recommended Flashpoint Paradox. I watched that and thought it sucked. I saw Wonder Woman kill a child and was revolted. If that's the direction DC is going then I have no interest. But then again maybe I'm not their customer.
I had no definition what so ever about what I wanted Thor 2 to be, I didnt know enough about the characters to have a set movie in my. I just wanted a good movie with emotion and heart to it and I got non of these things.

I liked MOS, but that doesnt mean I want all CBM's to be like it, MOS needed more humour while Thor 2 needed a lot less. I actually think The Wolverine got the balance the most right in regards to humour in CBM's in 2013 despite MOS being my favourite. The 1st Thor got the balance much better as well. It got suitably serious when it needed to be and was very emotional at times. You didnt see any jokes made in the final battle of Thor 1 which is probably my favourite stand alone movie in the MCU.

As I have said nothing in Thor 2 had any tension, or consequence, because a joke would be made during the scene or 30 seconds after it, its just too much and ruins the movie for me. Taylor didnt want this much humour in the movie, I just wish they had let him do his thing.

I like and have read both Marvel and DC, I also like and read characters like Judge Dredd, Hellboy, Transformers, G.I Joe as well as some others. I want EVERY comic book movie to be good as it only helps the genre, but Thor to me was just Marvel's ego going crazy. Thor 2 could have and should have been as big and as good as The Avengers but Marvel seemed to micro manage the movie from the start and it came out very disappointing IMO.

They seem to be putting a lot more effort into Cap 2 which I hope lives upto the hype.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3

Last edited by AVEITWITHJAMON; 03-18-2014 at 09:18 AM.
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote