View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #91
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: Phase 2: Which Avenger had the best solo film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
I'm curious why so many people liked Captain America more than Iron Man. They were, by my estimation, of equal quality, but while Captain America was a fairly traditional (albeit exceptionally well made and thoughtful) action film, Iron Man 3 was a very unique and fresh experience. It tried a lot of new things with the character and the genre and took a lot of creative risks that I felt were very successful. That's what pushes it over the edge for me. I'm not looking to start a fight or anything, everyone is of course entitled to their own preferences, I'm just curious about how others feel the two films stack up against each other.
I feel the same way of Cap 2 as you feel about IM3. TWS feels more fresh for me in terms of scope, content, and execution. With IM3, I got exactly what I was expecting in terms of style when I heard Shane Black is directing - akin to Lethal Weapon (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

There are other reasons as well, but the main difference is I thought Cap 2 was much better written and had more depth, including much better social commentary. We're probably polar opposites on this, but I thought IM3's social commentary was extremely latched on. It didn't come off natural; heck, I'll go as far as to say that it felt like a political agenda to me. It's not so much the message itself (which I agree with), but the way it was presented/integrated in the movie. Whereas TWS made it feel more natural and with more heart.

Plus, TWS features the demolition of SHIELD (I dislike SHIELD in the comics).

Last edited by Shikamaru; 04-10-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote