View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #42
InJustice
Side-Kick

Default Re: Should Batman be portrayed as a Protagonist or Antagonist in this film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masone View Post
Didn't TDKR do that?

One thing about TDKR is they didn't try to push the issue of Batman murdering Dent. Gotham was against him, but the story wasn't framed around something we knew wasn't true, and all the important characters were on his side. There was even a character that was able to read through that BS story and come to Batman's aid. Honestly I'd rather Batman and Wonder Woman be the Blake of the story, the character that doesn't believe the narrative that's being pushed and comes to the hero's aid.

If you're talking about doing something like that, then I don't mind. I just don't want them to push the issue too much. I don't want to think for even a second that "man these characters are dumb if they believe that", especially if we're talking about Batman and Wonder Woman. If it's just a perception thing where the world views Superman as reckless and a dangerous threat, that's fine, but I don't want Batman and Wonder Woman believing someone's narrative, even if it's the cunning Lex Luthor.

Basically I view the world and other heroes/main characters as two different entities. The world can have their perceptions shaped by someone like Lex, I don't mind that, that's a big part of his character, to be able to do that. The world is stupid, they'd let fear drive their actions. But WW and Batman? I don't like that at all. I don't like the thought of Superman being alone or Superman vs the world. If you're going to go down that path, I believe it's important to have any and all heroes be on Superman's side from the very beginning. Not only just the heroes, but the characters that were close to the events that happened in MOS, Lois obviously, but also Perry White, Jenny, Lombard, Swanwick, etc...If someone wants to shape the world's perception of Superman, that's fine, but all those characters need to be on his side, else the thought of "man these characters are stupid" will creep in.

Remember how Hardy and his soldiers were firing on Superman initially? They viewed him as a threat. That is how the perceptions of the people of the MOS world should be. Initially they are like what Hardy was like at first, distrusting, willing to extinguish the "threat", but after the events of the movie? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReQFQSGVbS4

The Dark Knight Rises didn’t even do anything close to what I had thought of. Only because Batman intentionally set himself up to be hated by Gotham and its Police Force, which is not what I want Superman to do. I want it to be more of a burden of proof kind of plot, which Batman in TDKR had the luxury of not having to prove himself. However, I do think The Dark Knight Rises is somewhat of a poor example considering that its script is flawed in that Blake somehow reaches the conclusion that Batman didn’t kill Harvey Dent based on convenient reasoning. I wouldn’t want the heroes to be written like that because if going against Superman makes them lazy, then writing them your way makes them come across as conveniences.

Having said that, it begs the question, why would the heroes be on Superman’s side? It’s a bit too convenient to write the heroes on Superman’s side. Batman is known to be paranoid, so it makes no sense that he would suddenly side with Superman without being suspicious of his actions. Wonder Woman might be someone who legitimately sides with him considering that they both have something in common: being alien to Earth. However, she could also antagonize Superman if she finds problems with how he handled Smallville and Metropolis. You also have the people in MOS like you said, but they’d likely represent a small minority. Someone will come up and say “Look at what Zod and Superman’s battle did to our city. Why should we trust him?”

Hardy died, so Superman doesn’t really have the military presence to back him up when it comes to governmental affairs. Hell, even Swanwick was still skeptical of him when he said, “how do we know you won’t act against America’s interests?” I don’t think Swanwick is entirely convinced that he can trust Superman, to be honest. Furthermore, it’s implying that there will be people uncomfortable with Superman’s arrival. That idea in itself is definitely going to be expanded upon, especially in the context of world politics, and the question what does America possessing a superhuman mean for the rest of the world?

As for the general audience, I still stand by the assertion that it is mixed. Heck, even people here had problems with Superman’s characterization.

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote