View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #98
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Default Re: The villain(s) of IM4 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Simple, as i suggested before, add in Titanium Man and Radioactive Man to form the

Wait, weren't they the communist super villains who helped Vietcong in the Vietnam war? Isn't that really dated?

Plus why would Radioactive Man still be a villain? That's the problem with the character, he represents China-US relations in the 1960s, instead of today. Plus do you really think Radioactive Man as some cliched bad guy would be a good way to get into the Chinese market?

Radioactive Man should be more like anti hero, he is a Chinese patriot

I don't mean to be a spoil sport, but let's face, the lame cold War propaganda tool villains are a fad that is past left in the past. They are not even good propaganda characters, I don't see how attacking Iron Man promotes a workers revolution or furthers the international dictatorship of the proletariat.

Most of them don't seem to have a personality beyond "I am a communist, so I must destroy [inset hero's name here]." Its hardly an Orwell level criticism of communism.

This why Iron Man's rogues gallery kinda sucked in the first place, it was tied to the Cold War and whenever Marvel tried to Cold war related stories, but was usually lame, viewing the cold War through a rather childish and naive lens, with unironic cliched bad guys and very simplistic black and white story telling style. That is why these characters have not aged well.

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote