View Single Post
Old 06-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #62
Magic Man
Can't Touch Dis!

Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
It's supposed to look like the American flag. It's not a coincidence. The design depends on the origin story of the costume.

If you don't like that, then why not get rid of the stars altogether but you also have to tweak the costume origin. And just to be clear, I'm not arguing against changing it.
I have no problem with a superhero wearing patriotic US-inspired costume. (Captain America is perfect example).

When WW was created, the world was black and white. Hitler was the freakin' devil. America needed a Nazi-fighting hero and WW filled that need.

But today's audiences are far removed from the 1940s (and more savvy). The world exists in shades of grey now. When I think of any royal member from any nation, I just cannot buy that they'd wear the flag of any other country. It almost seems treasonous.

DC/WB just needs to create an Amazon flag and be done with it. Many flags around the world use red and blue and stars. So the Themysciran flag has that leeway.

All that said, the Perez explanation of how Steve's mom, Diana Trevor, was a hero to the Amazons, could make sense for an American-inspired uniform, I guess. But a statue honoring Diana Trevor sounds more fitting...with WW wearing a Themysciran costume when representing her people in the outside world.