View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 12:45 PM  
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming User Reviews Thread *SPOILERS*

Here is my review of Spider-Man: Homecoming

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

The passed 13 years have been rough for Spider-Man on film. 2004 saw the release of Spider-Man 2, which helped define the genre for a long time and still stands the test of time, but little did we know the dark times ahead. Little did we know Sony would sabotage Spider-Man 3 by cramming too much into the movie, or that Spider-Man would see his second reboot since 2012. Time were certainly dark, but from that darkness came Marvel Studios. After the Amazing Spider-Man 2 took the franchise to its all-time lowest point, Kevin Feige and company were able to get the chance to do Spider-Man the right way, and join his Marvel brothers into the MCU fans know and love. The resulting film not only is the best outing for the webslinger since 2004's Spider-Man 2, it is also one of the best films Marvel Studios has made.

One strength inherent in Spider-Man is the ability to explore a section of the Marvel Universe to this point only explored at any level on Netflix: the street level. One thing this film absolutely gets right is that heroes like the Avengers face global or world ending threats, so a petty arms dealer like the Vulture can go unnoticed for 8 years! This helped make the Vulture a huge threat as Spider-Man is new to this gig and his abilities, so largely he feels over matched against the very experience Vulture. Vulture actually ends up being one of the MCUs strongest villains to date. I think both Norman and Doc Ock in the Raimi films were overall better villains, but Vulture is solidly best villain in a Spider-Man film since then. Has great character motivations, an interesting code of honor, and a great connection both to Peter and to the MCU as a whole. I also love this idea that he is a scavenger living off the scraps of the gods and monsters of the MCU, as is Peter with the Avengers. It's a great duality. Spider-Man: Homecoming gives us a great view of that smaller street level world, and shows us much of what is still to come for that universe. We get many future villains in the film, and the film is not shy about pointing that out.

What really makes this film work is the main character. While Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield never nailed being both Peter Parker AND Spider-Man, Tom Holland absolutely does. Between his 2 MCU appearances, it is clear he is the best on-screen version of Spider-Man ever. He owns both roles, mastering Spider-Man's sharp wit and merging it with Peter's more awkwardness. Also much like the Raimi films, it plays with Spider-Man's bad fortune comedically, like a scene where Spider-Man has no buildings to swing off of, so he has to run through a park. Tom Holland's energy is infectious, and his trials and tribulations as Peter Parker also hit home. It took a long time to find, but here is a version of Spider-Man that has everything you can ask for in a webslinger.

Based on the marketing, there was some worry about various film elements. One of which was would Tony Stark steal too much of the spotlight. Honestly, he is not in the movie nearly as much as the trailers indicate. He is in the film a fair amount, yes. But all his scenes are in service to the story, except maybe one toward the end, but the film does not lose sight of it being a SPIDER-MAN film. Then there is Zenayda. Yes, the character's nickname is MJ, but she is not Mary Jane Watson. While Marvel is giving her the MJ initials, she is clearly a whole other character down to her actual name being Michelle. This did not bother me at all. Ned Leeds in the film is kind of a mix of many different characters, but as Peter's guy in the chair, he is hilarious and one of the film's brightest spots. I also really like Marisa Tomei as Aunt May, though clearly Aunt May seems to be getting younger and younger with each new version we are presented. But one of the other big issues was Peter's AI, named Karen in the film. Peter is not Iron Man, I agree. But, Iron Man is his mentor, so in a piece of Stark tech, the AI made sense and Karen offered some great levity in the film and some of the funnest moments. I can see this not being everyone's cup of tea, but I think Marvel made this idea work.

I remember when Spider-Man 4 was cancelled, I was very sad. Then came the Amazing Spider-Man films, which just didn't appeal to me at all. Between those and the poor storylines the comics had presented for Peter Parker, my interest in Spider-Man dwindled heavily. I just had not been excited for anything Spider-Man in nearly a decade, but thanks to Marvel, Watts, and everyone involved, I have rediscovered what I loved about Spider-Man in the first place. Spider-Man: Homecoming helped restore my love for Spider-Man, and I am excited for the character's future. I cannot wait to see how Marvel handles such a great stable of characters and the Spidey universe in general. One thing we know is, they are off to a great start.

Overall Rating: 5/5

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote