View Single Post
Old 06-05-2005, 01:04 AM   #95
Mack
Side-Kick

Default Re: Was BF a "decent" Batman Film or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard
Here's the thing. People bash the FOREVER Riddler for not being serious. When was The Riddler ever that serious? He was about the game, always has been, always will be on some level. He was comical about how he operated in BATMAN FOREVER (it was part of his personality), but he was also deadly serious, within the parameters of the world he inhabited. A world of over-the-top costumed heroes and villains, a fictional city, etc. The Riddler was pretty sinister when you really stop and think about it. He was a genius who killed his boss, stole people's most private information, used people to get what he wanted, and he was a freaking stalker to boot. Was he the darkest villain? No. But The Riddler never really was.
I'm not bashing Forever's Riddler for not being serious, I'm saying he would of been more effective if the movie were more serious.

Quote:
He wasn't a non-factor at all. The themes of vengeance and his parallells with Bruce, as well as his curious, sometimes dark, but driven nature, were done well, and so was the death of his parents. He was a non-factor because he had to be rescued from a supervillain, after making a pretty good choice not to kill another one of them? That makes every Robin story where that happened in the comics obsolete, I guess. And that would tend to exclude some of the best Robin stories there are.
Like I said, I thought he was portrayed well, but he hardly helped to save the day or stop any bad guys. The theme of vengeance against Two-Face was unfulfilled because he never got his vengeance against him. I would of been a lot more satisfied if he, not Batman, were the one to stop him at the end.