View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 08:43 AM   #72
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Default Re: The "ROLO Factor:" A Look At Ororo & Logan's Love Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne
Thank you for all the long-winded explanations and pictures Lightning (including the crappy manips).
And thank you for consistently being an ass. Your abrasive ways never fail to impress us Hypesters.

Please try your call again later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic Liz
There are way less general movie audience people who favour a Storm/Logan romance than the Jean/Logan one. They spent so much time in X1 and X2 doing Jean/Logan that for me knowing Jean will be in X3 well it annoys me. To me there NEVER been any REAL Storm/Logan. Heck there's been more Rogue/Wolverine or others than Storm/Wolverine. They just haven't done hardly any romance stuff with Storm in the comics that I know of, and Ultimate hardy counts, though that was Jean.
Liz, how can you anticipate the general movie audience will not "favour" a concept they haven't seen? At this point it'd be hard to guage what their reaction will be considering that Storm has been a 2-dimmensional character for 2 films straight. This is where Singer really handicapped Storm's cinematic personna--he hasn't built any kind of foundation whatsoever for her.

Think about it: all of the core X-Men characters (in particular Rogue, Bobby, Pyro, Magneto, Cyclops, Jean, and especially Logan) Storm is the only one that has never had a true character arc. She's never grown from one point in the saga to another point in her personality. While the NC "I have faith in you" was a nice step in the right direction, Kurt won't even be in this installment so they are taking her back to square one again.

Ratner knows the X-Men well--he's reportedly a major fan of the characters. So he knows Storm is regal but is also passionate and sexually free (especially in the 80's when she was often nude or scantily clad ). Bryan Singer completely rewrote her character into an oppressed, mousy, scared individual...hardly a Goddess that commands the winds.

That said, Brett & Co. will have an uphill battle indeed to bring some life to Storm. While I too am concerned that the ROLO factor is just a way to "give her something to do" it is also clear-cut evidence that FOX finally realizes the character has suffered a lack of development and needs something to do. If it's done tastefully and with class it coooould work.