View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 07:48 AM   #35
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Default Re: Justice League Vs Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryfilmmaker
See... here is where all "this guy vs. that guy" debates get dumb. There is NO REAL CONTINUITY in comic books...
Yes there is.

Quote:
and no set power levels.
Yes there are.

Quote:
The Hulk, Thor, Superman, Batman, Daredevil, Spidey, Wolverine, Cyclops, and every other superhero ever have all had various power levels because they change in order to tell different stories.
Which is what I call "lazy writing."

Quote:
For example... you can't use the Superman who is invulnerable to physical harm in the "Death of Superman" storyline.
Superman had already been severely powered down from Pre Crisis levels before that storyline. He wasn't some infalible god at that point. Besides, all it takes to kill some one who is "invulnerable to physical harm" is more physical harm than he's faced as of yet. Everyone and everything has a breaking point.

Quote:
You can't have the Cyclops who's blasts "blow a hole through a mountain" get beat by Wolverine.
I don't think Cyclopse's blasts were ever described to be able to blow a whole in a mountain anywhere outside of the movie. And I don't think Wolverine's beaten him, either.

Quote:
You can't have Batman beat Superman if Superman is going full out and not giving Bats a second to even think about moving before he's dead.
Batman's never beaten Superman when Supes was going all out. The only time Batman beat Superman was in Hush. And there, Superman was fighting off mind control, and thus not fighting anywhere near his peak capacity, and Batman didn't so much win as "barely survive until he could snap Superman out of it."

Quote:
Power levels do not exist in comics.
Yes they do.

Quote:
They are altered in order to tell different kinds of stories.
Which is bad writing.

Quote:
Characters are great because of who they are and what they represent, not because they are a 9 on the power scale or a "class 100" or whatever that means.
Their power levels have nothing to do with how good a character they are. The Question is one of my favorite characters, and I know Captain America would kick his ass all over creation. But if a character does have power levels, you have to write them in those power levels. Otherwise, it's just damned lazy.

Last edited by The Question; 05-06-2006 at 08:08 AM.
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote