View Single Post
Old 05-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #39
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Default Re: Justice League Vs Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryfilmmaker
Well, with hundreds of writers over the last 70 years, it's hard to say which guy has the right to establish a character's power level for everybody else to follow. "How many feet can Spider-Man jump approximately? Oh, I had him jump 30 but here on this trading card it says only 20 so I guess Spider-Man has to fail, fall into the canyon, and die. It doesn't make sense, but hell... I stuck to the continuity."
You do realize that this doesn;t have to happen at all, right? The writer can simply write the story to acomidate the character's pre set abilities.

Quote:
The current "continuity" in any comic book series contradicts itself...
Not all the time. When that does happen, it's the fault of lazy writers.

Quote:
so how do we know which comic book is loyal and which is wrong? I stand by saying that debating power levels is silly and that character and story stand above all else.
That's true. Story is important. But if you are working within a continuity, you have to follow that continuity. Otherwise, don't write the story in continuity.

Quote:
It's not lazy, it's just a different way of doing things.
And that way of doing things is lazy. Or, if they're not being lazy, they;re just disrespectful to the continuity.

Quote:
Whether in fantasy superhero land, or the real world, people are allowed to disagree and it doesn't make them lazy.
If you can't take the effort to write the characters based on the continuity set before you, you are just being damned lazy about it.

Quote:
I say Superman uses Thor's hammer to wipe his ass, some writers disagree. Who's right? Neither. Who's wrong? Neither... so long as the story does both of them justice as characters.
No. If the continuity says that characters are capable of specific things, then characters are capable of specific things. If you don;t follow that, don't write the story in continuity. Otherwise, you;re just being a lazy *******.