View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #92
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Default Re: Where has Scott Summers gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ones
HE DID!?!?!?!??! THAT BASTARD! If he thinks its just some potential for some cool F/X sequence instead of an actual plot device then let me get my book of assassins out...
Here is the actual quote:

"The message of the Dark Phoenix Saga is not one of self-sacrifice. Nor is it about the fact that Scott and Jean are in love. It is about the terrible, horrific, but ultimately human capacity for evil, and what we must do in the face of it. Even when it comes from inside us. I know a lot of people like to see the Phoenix Saga as a love story, but I don't agree with that. It is a classic Jekyl and Hyde story, including repressed emotions and the like, and the ESSENTIAL moment is that Jean realizes what she has done and destroys (or allows to be destroyed) the dark side of her. I think we got the spirit of it without the details."

-Zak Penn

I really like the part where he goes "We got the spirit of it without the details". That just makes me so happy

Funny thing, I never thought of Jean like that. Jean's supposed to be known for her compassion and love, a kindred spirit who would be devastated if she ever willingly caused mass destruction and murder. Even in EndSong Scott tells her when she's possessed by the Phoenix "You are love! To deny that is to deny your own existence!". Obviously that's one of the details that Penn left out. I seriously can't see Jean as having that kind of rage and hatred deep down inside that Penn talks about. If she did have a Phoenix alter-ego evil persona that was bitter and filled with hatred, it would have shown. You would see SOME hints that she's holding back some kind of repressed frustration. And yet you never do. Especially towards Xavier. In fact you only see the opposite. Like that really touching extra scene in X1 where she confesses to Charles with tears in her eyes that without him, none of them would have a life worth living and kisses him on the forehead.
It just doesn't work. It'd make more sense to just have Jean in X3 possessed by evil demonic monsters

Jean: Mom says the only way I can cook is over a bunsen burner.

Last edited by ntcrawler; 07-21-2006 at 05:29 PM.
ntcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote