View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #98
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Default Re: Where has Scott Summers gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ones
If he got the wrong message entirely about one of the most famous stories in the X-men, Who's to say he wont get the wrong message about Hulk, produced by Marvel. Dont give out that there completely different comic's and stories but he just seems to be mental right now.
I can accept that there are some things which are ok to interpret or adapt for the screen. But there is a line that you are not allowed to pass. Some things are considered fundamental and those details MUST be kept to preserve the spirit of the story you are working on. It takes skill to know where that line is and how to avoid going across it. Singer, Raimi, and Jackson are very good at this. They also respect the story they are working on and appreciate what it means to the fans. I'm not saying that Ratner is evil, but he's just not good at doing this. And I do agree strongly with whoever said that "adapting comics to screen" is NOT an acceptable excuse for bad writing!

And some of these fundamental elements? Cyclops having beams he can't control and wearing a visor, Xavier being bald and in a wheelchair, Wolverine being angry and having claws, Storm controlling the weather and having white eyes when using her power, Jean having red hair, and of course Jean and Scott's relationship. These are fundamental elements which make the X-Men the X-Men. if you change any of those, it's no longer the X-Men. Same deal with the Phoenix saga. If you turn it into a Jekyl/Hyde monster story, then it's a Jekyl/Hyde monster story, but NOT the Phoenix saga.

I stand by what I said earlier. Psyched out or not, mental blocks notwithstanding, Jean would never, ever do to Scott what we were made to believe she did in X3. Their bond goes beyond love and absolute trust. It's thanks to this bond why they both have been able to survive and get to where they are today. The fact that Scott's fate is PURPOSELY kept vague and gives us hope only supports that notion. To imply she just blew him away because she's so evil or so out of control, while he was doing something that more than anything would help supress the phoenix inside and bring out the good Jean and calm her and let her feel safe, is bizarre and wrong.

Jean: Mom says the only way I can cook is over a bunsen burner.

Last edited by ntcrawler; 07-21-2006 at 04:54 PM.
ntcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote