View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #417
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Default Re: Kevin Feige says no to another Hulk Movie.

Quote:
Whedon told the site, "I didn't actually read World War Hulk so I'm not sure how I'd adapt it. Mark and I loved the Hulk and went over and over the concept of rage and how it should manifest, and that part of it was fascinating to both of us. But when it comes time for the Hulk he has to put on the silliest damn pajamas you ever saw, a tiara made of balls, and a bunch of dots on his face and growl around like an idiot. The real heart of the experience ultimately becomes playing Banner, and the thing that people fell in love with was Banner because I think Mark has you from the first time he shows up. The Hulk is the most difficult Marvel property because it's always about balance. Is he a monster? Is he a hero? Are you going to root for a protagonist who spends all his time trying to stop the reason you came to the movie from happening? It's always a dance. I don't think the first two movies nailed it, but I don't envy them the task. It was easier to have him in a group than to build everything around him. I don't think there would be any problem getting a movie together that had enough Banner, even if there was also Hulk. But if he was only Hulk for the entire movie I think Mark at some point would go, why am I here? I would be less inclined to pursue a storyline where the Hulk is only ever the Hulk."
As much as I love Whedon and what he did with Banner and Hulk I hate that he thinks of the character in this way. Hulk was never meant to be portrayed as a mindless rage monster that runs around "grunting like an idiot" all the time. To reduce his character to this because that's the way the TV show did it is stupid. Hulk can be just as smart as Banner at times i.e. a scene from Avengers EMH when Hulk easily explained a difficult concept that Stark thought went over his head. That's just one of many times Hulk has showed his intellect. If we got a film that gave Hulk a personality and rationed the screen time between Hulk and Banner then we could finally see a successful Hulk solo film.