View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #127
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
It's not that I'm worried how he gets brought back, it's that he's brought back at all. It cheapens the initial drama and makes it so any death from here on out is automatically a "well, they'll be brought back somehow" moment. I don't like it. If you do, that's fine.
It only cheapens the initial drama if it doesn't come with drama of it's own. I'd agree with you if there were zero consequences to Coulson being brought back. While we haven't seen them yet, I'm positive that there will be consequences once we find out what the story is, both from the ominous sounding "he can never know" and from the fact that in every Joss Whedon project where he's resurrected a dead character, there were huge consequences that came as a result of the character coming back. Angel, Darla, and Buffy all had intense psychological trauma that came as a result of dying and coming back to life, and Spike was trapped as a ghost and teetering on the edge of being sucked into hell for half a season, and we later found out he was brought back to be used as a pawn by a major villain who proceeded to dick him around for several episodes.

Love him or hate him, in Whedon's works both death and resurrection have a lot of weight to them, I don't think it will be any different in the case of Coulson. Wether he's an android or a clone who's been programmed to think he's Coulson or he's Coulson brought back to life through some method he would find morally offensive, there will be serious **** hitting the fan when he find out what the score is.