View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #136
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Just because we, as comic book fans, are used to it doesn't make it right.
I didn't say that. I'm saying that comic book fans are naturally more inclined to think that way than non comic book fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Apply what we're used to in a movie that isn't comic-oriented. What would audiences think if people in Breaking Bad or Dexter suddenly sprang back from the dead, whether they were explained away as faking their death or clones or whatever. It would absolutely cause any future deaths on those shows to be met with suspicion. That's not what you want.
Well, Breaking Bad or Dexter are bad examples, what with them having no sci-fi or fantasy elements to them.

And I completely disagree with you there. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a perfect example. But Angel and Buffy died and came back to life on that show, and it didn't diminish future character deaths because they were handled the right way. It depends entirely on how you do it. If you treat characters coming back as no big deal and do it all the time, the yes, you're right. If it's rare and treated as a huge event, then you don't have that problem. Right now, in the MCU, it's rare and being treated as a huge event, so I don't think it's going to spoil audiences at all.