View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #732
georgec
Not a hero

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - Part 143

The only silly thing about Blake knowing Bruce is Batman is that he's the only person to figure it out.

If Batman comics were realistic, any person with half a brain would be able to figure out Bruce is Batman, or at least Bruce is strongly associated with him.

Blake knowing isn't a flaw. Other people not knowing is the flaw, one which is present in virtually all Batman stories and mediums.

It's like complaining Blake is smart enough to figure out what is plainly obvious. All these superheroes are founded on nearly illogical, silly premises that allow their identities to remain anonymous.

Nolan did no wrong here. I applaud him for having Blake outright say he knows, call Bruce out on giving up the cowl, and provide emotional insight into Blake's character. It was a great scene. And the funny thing is, while I can't by any means prove this, it's a scene I played out in my head and predicted almost down to a T a couple months before the movie came out. I just knew that Blake would visit Wayne Manor and try to convince Bruce to return.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.