View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #39
dmcreif
Side-Kick

Default Re: Deborah Ann Woll IS Karen Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsingerguy View Post
This isn't DC we're talking about here. Ewwww, salty! Seriously though, I think Marvel is smart enough to realize it's way too soon for Frank to have any romantic relationship. He had just finished (or so he thought) killing all the people responsible at the start of the season. As far as I'm concerned, that's the equivalent of Frank having just buried his wife. He loved her too much to go slinging his skull covered penis around the tv MCU. Besides, what are they upset that Claire is gonna be the only female being tossed around between the Defenders, so they've gotta add Karen to the rank of MCU ho too?!
With a month since the show came out, I'll have this to add:

The marketing team used Karen (and Deborah Ann Woll) pretty heavily in the show's PR tour. There are clear pluses and minuses to this: one the one hand, Karen is an established character, with an established, sympathetic relationship with Frank, so it’s not surprising they would want to play up her involvement. On the other hand, it creates an impression that she’s a main character, so it’s deceptive. It risks disappointing any viewers who decided to watch the show because of Karen, and it also downplays the importance of other characters who are actually more central to the story.

And with Karen, it's also pretty clear that the marketing focused on the love interest/friendship without depth part of her connection with Frank, and not much else with her. I hope they don’t put too much emphasis on that again and that Daredevil season 3's marketing will finally focus on Karen being the amazing character she can be, not just as someone vigilantes can easily fall in love with.

dmcreif is online now   Reply With Quote