View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #107
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Default Re: Fantastic Four Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssayM View Post
Not really. $130 M budget, $289 M gross...it wasn't as big as the first one, but it did okay.
Keep in mind that estimating loss on a movie is WW Gross /2- Production budget. by that math $289/2=144.5-130= 14.5Mil.. Also keep in mind that by the IP leasing contract they are to give Marvel 10% of the WW profits so that another 28.9 Million so thats a loss of -14.4 mil

Quote:
I wasn't saying that I agree with it, but I think that's probably how Fox reasoned it out. Small budget may not make a better movie, but its good news for the studios because they have less to lose if the movie underperforms, and Trank showed them with Chronicle that he was able to do that and have it pay. That's all I was trying to say.
So you'd accept a Found footage FF film?

Also, how will we know what they're planning to spend on it until they, y'know, spend it? Has their even been an official budget released yet.

True but.... I still have a bad feeling

Quote:
To be blunt...yes. Nothing here that hasn't already been successful with the TASM franchise (including Electro being race-changed and Rhino being a guy in a mocap suit, neither of which seem to be getting much hate), so I can totally see why a trend-chasing studio executive would sign off on this. They might be nervous because of the online backlash and poor handling thereof, but I don't see why that would make them abandon a project with (in their eyes) everything else going for it. So yes, if I were them, I would totally bank on this.
See the math above on the ROTSS and if you still stand by this then we can talk some more wiser investments