View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 AM   #245
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Any other hardcore Spidey fans disturbed by the idea that Spidey might be beaten critically in 2014 by another Marvel property? I kinda am.

2014 is an all Marvel competition - Spidey, X-Men, Captain America, and the Guardians of the Galaxy. Nothing from DC or anyone else. Since Spidey is Marvel's #1 character and the only character they have that is able to rival guys like Batman and Superman in iconic image, I think it will be pretty embarrassing for him if he doesn't have the best comic book movie of 2014 when it is an all Marvel competition. I may sound like a fanboy but any of the 3 other Marvel movies beating Spidey either financially or critically will make Spidey look bad IMO.

I'm not too worried about Spidey financially but I am worried about him critically. I think Days of Future Past has a chance of beating Spidey in that department. Based on most of the stuff I heard, it sounds like the most ambitious X-Men movie to date. You have the Sentinels and you have people like Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, and Hugh Jackman coming back. I fear it may give TASM 2 some competition (not too worried about Cap or the Guardians though).
You brought this up before I believe. I am not worried. Spidey has the premiere May opener slot for a reason. As you said, he's their biggest property other than Avengers and maybe arguably Iron Man now. I don't think DOFP is going to do more than $600m. GotG is really up in the air, but I think if it hits, it will hit HARD, but not so much to topple Spider-Man. I am confident that TASM2 will be an $800m film if not a $1b one. And no I'm not crazy, in this day and age a good Spider-Man movie should be able to gross over a billion dollars world wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
While I thought the first film was mishandled, it seems like Webber has more control with ''Amazing Spidey 2". I'm cautiously optimistic.
Yes, this is also something I noticed. Webb seems to be much more in the driver's seat with this film than the first, since he was basically brought in last minute with that one and I doubt he had much if any control over the direction of the film die to certain circumstances. Can't wait to see what his true vision of the film is like (already off to a good start with the eyes and bringing in multiple facets of the Spidey universe in the correct way).