View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #108
jmc
away for a while

Default Re: Dear Kevin Feige... please don't slowly turn Marvel Studios into Fox or Sony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
You act like that is something new. What did you expect? Them to advertise the twist in advance? Let's be realistic here. Films have been doing this since at least the 30s, and I only can't say before then because I'm not familiar enough with the Silent Era. Many all-time classics have done this. You just come off as whining because a director had the audicity to try and fool the audience.

"OMG. This movie is so AWFUL! We were led to believe that Darth Vader murdered Luke's father! That's false advertising!"

I'm sorry, I don't like to be condescending, but in this case that argument is just so ridiculous I can't help it. Not liking a twist because you thought it was stupid or didn't work is one thing. Not liking a twist because you felt 'misled' is retarded.
Don't you understand that this is an extreme case of misleading? Yes you do sound condescending because you're not taking into account how this film was marketed and why people have the right to feel gutted. There are plenty of cases where we've all seen movies that aren't what trailers made them out to be, the difference is in this case it's such an extreme case that went beyond just the trailers. Yes it works in context, but fans don't like to be taken for fools especially when it's being built up as an epic showdown between hero and villain. It's playing with fans emotions because they wanted Iron Man to have a genuine arch nemesis and everything pointed toward getting one. So they have every right to feel misled just as you have every right to be ok with twist. And don't get me wrong, there's nothing with playing a deceptive card as long as it actually has some meaning within the film, otherwise it's a twist for the sake of shock value.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote