View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 03:24 AM   #123
xeno000
IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Default Re: Dear Kevin Feige... please don't slowly turn Marvel Studios into Fox or Sony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Since when does a villain have to be physically strong to be a menace? Or a good villain? In that case let's just joing extremis with Hulk's serum in the next villain.
In the clip you posted, Mandarin was menacing but all he did was shoot a man in the head.* Killian and his Extremis soldiers committed far more carnage than that, some of it with their bare hands. Their powers and ruthlessness were far more scary and appalling than the Kingsley character because the damage they inflicted on others was portrayed very realistically. Killian was brutally using his test subjects, actually vaporizing people, sending them off to kill civilians and even attacking Air Force One remorselessly. And he shot people on top of all that. He may have had a different demeanor from Kingsley/Mandarin but he was no less menacing for that.

Another point: All through the film Tony Stark himself dealt with his foes quite brutally. There is this constant refrain that Marvel films are somehow less adult than some other superhero fare, but in truth their approach to violence has always been far more realistic than their competitors' movies. Considering the punishment Tony meted out to Brandt, Savin, Killian and assorted thugs it's clear that Marvel and its heroes pull no punches. Were Black and Pearce really aiming to please only kids, the body count would have been a lot lower and the language far less salty.

* Yeah, I know how the twist played out in that scene but, you know, spoilers.

It’s something that’s easy to take for granted, growing up in the United States as a white male, that my cinematic heroes look like me...It’s something that over the course of these ten years, having a certain amount of power over what type of movies are made and what type of actors we hire, I want everybody to have that feeling. We don’t take it for granted that people want to see themselves reflected in our heroes and our characters.
xeno000 is online now   Reply With Quote