View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #902
Default Re: IRON MAN 3 Trailer Thread - Theatrical TRL #1 To Debut Oct. 23rd, 12:01AM (PST)

Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
It's gonna happen. Nolan's franchise was that influential whether you want to admit or not. It doesn't matter if Donner, Raimi and Singer set the stage, Nolan added to it. Anything that is wrapped in darkness, dread, emotion, etc is referred to The Dark Knight Trilogy. Is it fair? No, but is it any different than when a portion of fans claimed that Nolan and WB were taking a page out of Whedon's and Marvel Studios' playbook simply because there was humor present in the TV spots? It's all trivial.
To me it's not the tone or look of anything in thos trailer that reminds me of TDKR. It's the similarity in story points being hit. The re-emergence of the organization from the first movie, the butt whipping of the title character at the hands of said organization and the emergence of this previously hidde enemy(The Mandarin appears to be a Ra's al-Ghul in this take, though hopefully the rings will have something of the comic and not just be there as a symbol like Ra's had his supernatural aspects excised). It's there and can't really be denied. And I'm not complaining. When I saw the terrorists were the Ten Rings in IM I wanted to see the Mandarin.