View Single Post
Old 11-04-2016, 04:57 PM   #55
divan
Side-Kick

Default Re: Legends of Tomorrow General Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
Yeah, I think the thing is most of the audience isn't that picky. They realize it is just a TV show and enjoy it for what it is. For me Nazi Hulk looked goofy as hell, but that is part of the fun of the show. Frankly Doomsday in Batman v Superman or Enchantress in Suicide Squad looked goofy as hell too, and they spent millions of dollars on them, probably more than the entire budget of the LoT episode. People love the cartoons too, and obviously they are even less realistic, but people realize they are cartoons and let it go at that.
While I don't disagree, I think LoT's problem is that is as generic as it gets. Doomsday may have a goofy design, but he looked believable within the style of that movie. The same thing happens with something like cartoons. If I know what I'm watching isn't really meant to represent reality (or, at the very least, popular 21st century movies and television representation of reality), things that aren't realistic don't stand out, because they work within the context of their presentation (Enchantress was goofy mostly because of the way she was written and acted, though admittedly the principle is very similar). If you watch The Blair Witch Project, or Rec or any Mockumentary you'll probably won't notice (or care) that amateurish camerawork, because it's part of the narrative.

I know most people aren't really picky with this stuff, but I also have to say that both Arrow and Flash, specially in their early seasons (1&2 for the former, 1 for the latter) seemed to be smarter with their budget.

Flash had constrains with its VFX from the very beginning and yet the stories never felt incomplete as a result because they knew to spend the money on the important stuff while complimenting the rest with good suspense and stories that felt as big (or small) as they needed to be.

The problem I have with things like the Nazi Hulk is that... Was he really necessary? Did no one look at the script and think - Okay, we can't really pull this off, what if we try a different obstacle? Can we give him a power that isn't so expensive to render? It's almost like they thought the story only supported itself because it had a Nazi Monster, when he was little more than a nuisance (and a plot device to give Steel powers). I just don't think that's good storytelling. You have to learn to build the story both around what you can and can't do when your budget is limited. And remember - Cheap doesn't necessarily equal bad.

LoT's easiest comparision is Doctor Who (also time travel, which means several different locales and exotic characters), which boasts both a ferocious style (specially in Seasons 5 and 9) and creative storytelling. It's not a perfect show by any means, but if it has to turn lifeless statues, shadows or graffiti into a monster it tries to make a strong story about it, saving it's budget for the big, more spectacular moments.