View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #366
signifyingmnky
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Right. And Tony calling Trevor "Ringo" is an assumption that the audience knows he is referring to the famous Beatle. But the fourth wall is left intact because, while the filmmakers and writers might be addressing us through context, the character himself (Rhodes, Tony, Killian) is still not aware of our existence.

Breaking the fourth wall, so to speak, is a method for audience realization that the characters in the movie belong or (to go a step further) actually exist in our world. Look at The Office. Mockumentary film style is used to make us believe that somewhere in the world the events on screen could actually be happening. The MCU would never go about doing this because then the suspension of disbelief is lost. If we see the MCU as an extension of our universe we cease to believe in the fantastical things that happen there.

I love The Dark Tower series. Still hated The Mandarin twist. To me its a more than just being misled. I wanted a badass Kingsley... thats pretty much it.
The fourth wall can be broken when the audience is directly or indirectly acknowledged. Both of those quotes acknowledge the audience, or specific people in it.