Thread: Why...
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #42
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: Why...

The reason fans can't help but wonder about merging the Nolanverse with the Snyderverse is simple: the Snyderverse seems like it's compatible with the Nolanverse. Everything points to the MOS franchise being Superman's answer to The Dark Knight Trilogy. And on top of that, people don't tend to be too keen to see something rebooted when the previous version wasn't too long ago (eg. The Amazing Spider-Man).

I wouldn't want to see a JL/WF movie starring Blake, but I can understand why some fans aren't opposed to imagining scenarios that invite Bruce/Bale to return to the role to star alongside Cavill. As far as we know this has no chance of happening so it's a moot point, but I do get it.

The other semi-troubling thing about all this is that the rebooted Batman will almost have to conform to illusionary realism if it is to take place in the same universe as Man of Steel. Yes, MoS is heavy on the Sci-Fi, but both Goyer and Snyder have repeatedly emphasized that it's meant to take place in a recognizable real world to create the effect of "what would happen if the world discovered there was a superpowered alien among them?". The existence of aliens doesn't really do much to create a more fantasy-based Batman solo world because he doesn't have aliens in his rogues gallery. Theoretically a big advantage to rebooting Batman would be to put him in more of a comic booky setting like so many fans want, yet Goyer and Snyder have said that Man of Steel is not trying to be comic booky. It's a bit of a conundrum because there's the possibility of a reboot that is too similar to Nolan's on one hand, and one that violates the tone and base-level Earth "realism" established in MoS on the other.

With all the creative talent currently at WB's fingertips, I'm sure they will find the solutions in due time, but these are things to think about.

BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote