View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #412
John Lambert
Side-Kick

Default Re: Love this IMBD post about the Damage/Death Toll in MOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
So I've always thought Metropolis was the DC equivalent of Chicago. (I know many comics depict it as east coast. And even neighbors with Gotham. But Chicago makes more sense to me. It's closer to Smallville, more central USA, heck there's even a city called Metropolis in Illinois!

Anyway. For example, Chicago has a population of 2.8 million (rounded up) and an area of 234 square miles. No time in the film do we get a survey of the damage of more than a few square miles. Factor that in with the fact that many people (with common sense during an alien invasion) were probably able to escape.

I estimate no more than a 40-50 thousand casualties. Including those in Smallville. Superman saved billions of innocent lives.
Well, I think they did the actual filming in Chicago. I know in L&C they said Metropolis had 12 million people, and clearly made it northeast/maybe even east coast, and half the time were clearly making in a NYC stand in, but on other occasions they mentioned New York. In STM they filmed Metropolis in New York, and in Superman II we see the Statue of Liberty by Metropolis, if that does not make it NYC nothing would.

However MOS draws some ideas from Smallville. So maybe they do want Metropolis to be Chicago. That would put Smallville and Metropolis in the same time zone. My biggest guess is they are undecided at this point.

John Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote