View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #83
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Default Re: OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK elbowstrike View Post
I like MOS far better. And I was never one to think Returns was horrible, Ive watched it one to many times for it to be a terrible movie. And though I think much of Returns hate is undeserved, it was far weaker than MOS imo.
Not as

Quote:
Superman, as a character was very boring and one-dimensional in Returns. Can anyone even think of one memorable quote from Routh's Superman in that movie? Can you remember anything Superman said at all in that Movie?
In fact Superman in SR was not only the "friend" Reeve made him. In SR he was the hero, but also he felt alone and troubled by so many people asking for help like he was some kind of God.

I remember, "I hear everything. You wrote that the world doesn't need a savior, but every day I hear people crying for one" very well as it was the first time in a movie that I get Superman's side of the story. But mostly I remember the speech he got from Jor-el (that he couldn't have consciously remember but somehow he did), now being given to Jason.

Quote:
Superman in MOS has a bevy of good quotable dialog. The whole, "My father believed if the world found out.." line was phenomenal, as was the line, "Krypton had it's chance!" in response to Zod. His emotion after taking a life, and even him fighting against that giant gravity beam showed how much raw potential Cavill has as an actor. His Superman was a better acted, more fleshed out character with a clear personality. The Superman in Returns just wasnt accessible as a character, even though I did enjoy that film.
Superman in MoS has great lines and great acting. i am not the one denying that. But IN Returns he was an accessible character as you can see he's not only an icon. there's something more going on inside him.

Quote:
Superman in Returns, not entirely Rouths fault mind you, had absolutely zero personality. Superman in MOS was a character I could relate with and had alot of personality. He was sad, a loner, introspective, yet we still see him having fun flying, smiling and joking with Lois, and Cavills acting was great.
Again, he did have a personality. You yourself call him "introspective." And well, he's coming back from a long lonely trip that has made him aware that he is alone. And then he can smile, be nice to people he rescues, then angry when there's this last chance of saving earth from Luthor island, etc. Far from not having a personality.

And this isn't saying MoS's Superman was bad or anything of the like.

Quote:
There are more reasons I like MOS better, but I must leave for work. But for starters, looking at that personalities, or lack there of, of the two Supermen is a good starting point for comparing the two movies.
But not the only.