View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 01:36 AM   #40
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: Where would you have taken the series if Ledger hadn't died?

Quote:
Originally Posted by milost View Post
There's no doubt in my mind that "Batman 3" (or whatever it may have been), if Ledger hadn't died and the Joker was included, would have been better than what we actually got.

There was still a lot of potential to be had with the Batman/Joker dynamic. I can't even begin to fathom all the possibilities of what another Ledger Joker performance would bring. I think there's a reason they didn't kill the character off in the last film with the "you and I are destined to do this forever" line. Seeing that play out in a sequel would have been awesome.
This.

I will admit to an extent that part of the reason why I wanted to see the Joker again had Heath been alive - other than his great performance and things they set up such as the "You and I will do this forever" line - was because of Bane and Talia. More specifically because of Talia since she was the big bad all along. I hated Talia so much in the film and I fully believe that had the Joker would have mopped the floor with her if he came back (with Bane too).

Talia came off entirely as a "female dog" to me, if you know what I mean. She had the least logical motivation for any CBM villain I've seen on the big screen. She clearly doesn't even understand the LOS and what her father stood for based on her plan (I wouldn't be surprised if the LOS somewhere out there was facepalming at what Talia was doing). She sleeps with the guy that killed her father who she apparently hates so much but talks down on + "friendzones" the man who saved her life many times and carried out all her work. On top of all that, she also carried a cocky vibe to her especially after the reveal. This is not a criticism towards the film btw; there is nothing wrong with having a character in a film that makes the viewers really hate him/her. I don't know if that was the intention but it did have that effect on me.

The second time I saw the film, one of the thoughts I constantly had in my mind was how lucky Bane and Talia were that the Joker wasn't in this film. Had the Joker been inserted in this particular story and would have confronted Bane and Talia, it would have been the end for them right there. One was a street-level psychopath who pushed a young, healthy, prime Batman to his limits using only his wits whereas the other two were (presumably) LOS members with tons of resources who had a lot of information about Batman, Bruce, and Wayne Enterprises given to them from the get-go and had to take on an older worn-out crippled Batman.