View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #153
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: Batman reboot: Should it be based on realism, dark imagination, or silliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
The key difference being that in BR Bruce's arc had some real payoff while in BF it really didn't. That may be no fault of Schumacher himself but the fault of the studio because they mandated that key scenes be removed yet the fact still remains the same.

Bruce Wayne's internal struggle in BF is pretty ineffective because it comes across as an afterthought in the movie due to how shoddily explored it all is in the final cut. In Burton's movie it at least feels more like there is a beginning, middle and end to his internal struggle because the exploration of it all is much more dominant in the film.
I'm not sure what you mean by there being no pay off? Bruce's resolution at the end of the movie is accept that he is not Batman now because he has to be, but because he chooses to be.

This is something that was very lightly touched on in Batman 1989, where Bruce simply tells Vicki he tried to avoid being Batman but he couldn't because nobody else could do it. He talked about it as though it was a penance.

What was the pay off for you in Batman Returns with Bruce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMoral View Post
I don't like that show. It performed a miracle though, it saved Batman from cancellation. And that cancellation was in the wings at least in part because of how ridiculous Batman had become in comics. The best thing to happen to Batman since his creation was O'Neil/Adams.
Batman had been campy in the comics long before the 1966 show came along. The show saved Batman from cancellation in the comics. It made Batman a cultural icon.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote