View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #1093
Zorex
I'm 100% 50/50

Default Re: Will Superman have a new costume in Man Of Steel Sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_200 View Post
The way it looks in real life is pretty good, but I think the suit is not dark, I think it is the filter they used for the movie. For a movie that is heavy on special effects, it does make it easier to use a filter like the one they used. However, if in 1968 without using a filter that drained the colors, 2001: Space Odyssey was able to accomplish what it did, I think almost 50 years later they could make a Superman movie without using such that particular type of filter.
I think you're oversimplifying the way by which the appearance of the suit changes from how it appears to the naked eye to how it appears on film. The appearance of the suit on film cannot be attributed strictly to some filter that's attached to the camera lens to drain all the color and life out of the image. It's a combination of the type of film stock (the actual physical film on which they record the raw material for the film), lighting conditions (and how that light interacts with the dual-layer, blue-textured-fabric-over-silver-muscle-suit construction of the costume), and digital color grading in post-production (where individual elements in any given shot can be lightened, darkened, enhanced, obscured, saturated or desaturated). It's a complicated process with lots of variables, but the end result is the end result as intended by the creative team all the same.

The change in cinematographer for the new film says right away that the suit is going to appear different the next time around. Then again, it's also going to look different because the costume designer says they're tweaking it.