View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #22
Mr.M
Banned User

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
yeah... from what i've gathered... more people still like the OT cast over First Class... outside these fanboy bubbles First Class really isn't anywhere near as popularly celebrated as the OT films...
That's because McKellan and Stewart are the backbone of the franchise. Had you just brought back Wolverine, it would have come across as a Wolverine 3. If you just brought back a handful of OT actors, it would be a nice throwback, but forgettable. Getting the original Mags/Xavier back is what seals the deal as this epic reunion that is DoFP. Other than that, Jean/Cyke are dead from a GA standpoint and Berry isn't that popular anymore. Neither is Ashmore or Cudmore or Paquin and Page.

Without that glue, there is no X-Men. This continuity and timeline isn't even worth discussing and this series, or set of X-Men films, is for all intensive purposes, over. Sure they can continue with a FC 3 and bridge the two time periods. Will it be as popular as DoFP? No. No matter what storyline they do in the 70's and 80's, it's not going to top it. Moreso do to the fact that you are limited with what you can do then (X-Men are still kids, and it's too early to bring in a force like Apocalypse or future Sentinel models), but much so because it cannot match the epicness of the future segments in DoFP.

That's why they don't have a choice BUT to retell in the new timeline. They may add some stories to expand on the Singer continuity and timeline, so I disagree that we may see an end of the original timeline all together. I believe this to be the case so that they can "buy time" before rebooting. But any continuity adhered to will likely be pre-1973 if at all.

Last edited by Mr.M; 11-13-2013 at 02:29 PM.