View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #763
Iceman
Infinity War!

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
There are people out there that I think could do it. So I'm never one of those types that "it can't be done".

I would say that Josh Holloway from Lost (even though Sawyer was based completely off of Han Solo) had that swagger down perfectly. Even in his eyes he did it very well. I would also say Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has that swagger and Han Solo type personality perfectly. He plays Jamie Lannister in Game of Thrones.

Now would these guys work for him? No mainly because their physical appearance is not close enough. The point is there are some actors that have that same vibe, and I'm sure there is someone out there that could do it. It will just require a long long casting call.

But there is no worries about it for now. Episode VII will have Harrison, so I don't even know why it's a worry with that film.
I think there's a fair few people who would be able to play the charismatic but dangerous guy very well (eg Josh Holloway as Sawyer as you mentioned) but to do it with the charm that Harrison Ford put into Han Solo & Indiana Jones is the real trick. And to me that's what makes those characters live forever. Another good actor of the time might have done fine in those roles but I don't know if they'd both be up there for all time best character 30 or so years later.

It's one of the hardest roles to live up to I can think of but I'll give whoever gets it a fair chance and it's fine if they're merely good in the role. After all even Harrison himself doesn't have those skills any more.