View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #13
ZeroDarkThirty
Side-Kick

Default Re: X-Men: Ascent of the Phoenix

EXT. XAVIER INSTITUTE-INFIRMARY

Xavier could only watch helplessly as Kitty continued to fade away. Slowly her torso went away, leaving only a pair of shoulders, a head, and neck.

XAVIER:
No, no, no.

KITTY:
Professor, tell the others I love them. Tell my parents I love them.

Xavier didn't know how to respond.

KITTY: (Con't)
And I love you, Professor.

He smiled as he had to hold back tears.

XAVIER:
I love you too, Katherine. You are one of my best students.

KITTY:
These last few years have been the best ever. Thank you.

Upon saying that, her face was now starting to fade. Xavier looked on as a tear fell from his eye. But then, he felt a strong presence in the room. Xavier looked over to see Jean standing in the entrance. Her hands glowed with energy as she concentrated.

Slowly, Kitty's faded body began to return until she was whole again. Her body then unphased and her physical form was back.

Kitty looked over herself, smiling brightly as an overwhelming sense of relief washed over her and the Professor both. Kitty then ran over to Jean.

KITTY:
Ms. Grey. You came.

JEAN:
Looked like just in the nick of time.

KITTY:
A couple of minutes ago wouldn't have been so bad either.

Jean smiled as Kitty came forward and gave her a tight hug. Kitty then let her go and ran out of the infirmary as Xavier took a deep breath, thankful that his student had been saved.

But as he looked back at Jean, he noticed the sullen look on her face.

XAVIER:
What is it? What happened?

Jean lowered her head and closed her eyes.

JEAN:
We lost Hank.

INT. MOUNT SINAI HOSPITAL-DAY

Warren was lying in a hospital bed, finally starting to come to. He looked around the room, slowly, groggy as he realized that he wasn't alone. Siryn, Jamie, Sam, and Tabitha were also there. Once he saw that his eyes were open, Sam walked over to Warren's bedside.

SAM:
Hey buddy, you're awake.

WARREN:
What happened?

Tabitha swallowed a knot in her throat as she looked to Jamie.

JAMIE:
You got hurt on your last assignment.

WARREN:
I think I'm okay. My back hurts a little, but...

Siryn tried her best not to cry. She didn't want to have to break the bad news to him but she had to.

SIRYN:
Warren, your wings were badly damaged. The surgeon had to amputate them. Your not going to be able to fly anymore.

Warren stared up at her for a moment before slowly closing his eyes as he remembered his wings getting impaled. He then opened his eyes back again and stared up at the ceiling.

WARREN:
It was that bad? I can't fly anymore?

Siryn took his hand and squeezed it.

SIRYN:
I'm sorry.

All four of them looked sad for him but Warren seemed to have no reaction, no feeling at all. He was numb. He gently took his hand away as he sat up in the bed and swung his legs over the side.

TABITHA:
Warren, you should probably stay in bed.

WARREN:
I'm fine.

He growled as he got to his feet. He looked from side to side, flexed his shoulders and instantly knew his wings were gone.

WARREN: (Con't)
I'm not staying here. And I'm leaving that damn school too.

TABITHA:
What are you talking about? You know you don't have to leave-

WARREN:
I don't have a mutation anymore, so what's the point? The only thing I have left is my fathers company.

SIRYN:
Warren, please. I know you're upset but-

She tried to touch him but Warren grabbed her wrist and pushed her against the wall.

SAM:
Hey!

He then pulled Warren away from her.

SAM: (Con't)
I know you're mad, but don't do that.

Warren glared at him.

WARREN:
All of you get out. Get out!

The four of them glanced at each other before turning around to leave the room. Once the door closed Warren sat back down on the bed and buried his face in his hands.

EXT. GRAMERCY PARK MEMORIAL CHAPEL-SEVERAL DAYS LATER

The day of Hank's funeral was a sorrowful one indeed. The casket that held his body sat in front of the room. No one at the funeral was spared sobs or tears. Everyone that had gathered was crying for some reason or another. Some were crying over a lost family member, a lost friend, a lost teammate, a lost co-worker.

The memorial service went by in a haze as the X-Men all sat together. Kurt Wagner was there too as was Hank's chief of staff, Carol Danvers.

Charles Xavier was now currently sitting in front of them all as he took a deep breath, ready to give his speech. While his throat ached he was determined to get through this.

XAVIER:
We are here today to say goodbye, to mark the passing of Dr. Henry McCoy from this world. Henry was the first mutant that Erik Lehnsherr and myself found when we decided to open up a school for the gifted. He was a remarkable young man, smart and strong. Hank chose to use his abilities for the betterment of the world. He risked his life numerous times to help people, to protect them from all kinds of dangers. Soon, he became a teacher himself and did his best to mentor young, up and coming mutants.

Scott, Jean, and Ororo all nodded as they remembered his science class back when they were students.

XAVIER: (Con't)
He gave us strength in time of trouble, wisdom in time of uncertainty, and sharing in time of happiness. He was always by our side.

Kitty began to silently cry as Pitor took her hand. Bobby's eyes lowered as he thought about just a few days ago Hank trying to help him when he froze his entire body. Rogue was thinking back to when Hank gave her the last sample of the mutant cure.

Finally, Hank decided to retire from teaching and left for Washington to campaign for mutant's rights. He tried to engender a social conscience. There were wrongs that needed attention, mutants who needed help. He felt a responsibility to those of who's mutation effected their appearance, to be their voice in order to let them know they weren't alone and that they didn't need to live in shame. And now those of us who loved him and take him to his rest today, pray that what he was to us and what he wished for others will some day come to pass for all the world.

His bottom lip then trembled as decided to finish.

XAVIER:
Goodbye, Hank. We love you, and we will never forget you.

Everyone slowly got to their feet. The X-Men approached Hank's casket. With Logan, Bobby, Rogue, and Kitty on once side and Jean, Scott, Ororo, and Pitor on the other, they picked it up and carried it outside to the waiting hearse.

Carol then approached the Professor.

CAROL:
Professor Xavier, my name is Carol Danvers. I was Henry's chief of staff. He's told me so much about you and your school.

She extended her hand which Xavier shook.

CAROL: (Con't)
President McKenna is appointing me as the new Secretary of Mutant Affairs. I'll try my best to live up to Henry's name.

XAVIER:
If Henry trusted you, then so do I. Thank you, Carol.

Carol smiled at nodded as the Professor turned his wheelchair to join the others outside.

INT. XAVIER INSTITUTE-XAVIER'S OFFICE

Jean opened the door and walked in, closing it behind her.

JEAN:
You wanted to see me, Professor?

XAVIER:
Yes, Jean. Please sit down.

Jean walked further into the room and look the seat across from the Professor.

Jean, I need to talk to you about your rather...advanced abilities.

JEAN:
What about it?

XAVIER:
Now that this is all over, we'll be going back to what we were doing in the beginning. I will try my best to teach you how to manage your powers so that you have better control over them.

JEAN:
Professor, my control is fine. I've never felt so focused.

XAVIER:
It's not that Jean. I've never seen a mutant with so much power before. And you know my feelings about the misuse of power.

JEAN:
You think I'm going to misuse it?

XAVIER:
No, I'm just...concerned. That's all.

JEAN:
You don't have to be worried. Professor, I've been really thinking over the last few days. Imagine all the things I could do now. And not just heal physical injuries, but cancer, AIDS, Ebola, Malaria. No more illnesses, no more horrible deaths, no more suffering, no more tragedies. I can repair failing hearts and kidneys, liver and lungs. Blind eyes, deaf ears-

XAVIER:
Jean, you are getting way too ahead of yourself. You're a doctor, so I understand your desire to help as many people as you can. But let's just take things one step at a time. The more power you have the more good you can do. And the more bad you can do as well, if you're not careful.

Jean sighed but nodded.

JEAN:
Okay. One step at a time.

She then got up and headed for the door but before she grabbed the door handle she stopped and looked back at Xavier.

JEAN: (Con't)
Professor, you've done so much for me, for everyone at this school. I want to do something for you.

Xavier smiled.

XAVIER:
Jean, you don't owe me anything.

JEAN:
I know, but I want to. If you trust me.

XAVIER:
You know I trust you, Jean.

Jean then focused her power in on the Professor. Slowly, he began to levitate out of his wheelchair. His body began to glow as Jean moved her hand around, like that of a skilled surgeon. After a few more moments, the glowing disappeared and Jean sat Xavier back down in the chair.

Xavier's brows furrowed as he touched his legs. His eyes widened in disbelief as he looked up at Jean as she smiled brightly down at him.

JEAN:
Now stand up and walk.

The Professor placed his hands on the arm rests of the wheelchair and placed his feet on the floor. He then pushed himself up and stood on his feet. He looked down as he began to take small steps forward, the first steps he's taken in nearly thirty years.

He kept walking until he reached the full length mirror that stood in the corner of the room and looked at himself. Xavier then turned his head to look at Jean. He and Jean's eyes were glassy, filled with unshed tears. At that moment they were both thinking the same thing.

They had always wanted to change the world for the better. That was their goal, that's what they were fighting for. Maybe this was their chance.

The End.

Last edited by ZeroDarkThirty; 08-20-2017 at 02:09 AM.
ZeroDarkThirty is offline   Reply With Quote