View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #798
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificBoy View Post
What was tonally off with The Avengers at the end? Honestly curious. I thought it was consistently fun and light throughout -- true to its tone.

MoS abruptly changed gears with the "He's kinda hot" joke, a joke which seemed like it would belong in TA rather than here.
I think The Avengers' tone shifted a lot. I mean, this is a movie that had the Schwarma scene and Agent Coulson's death, it had a a lot of emotional highs and lows. But it worked because every time the shifted into a different tone, it wasn't disregarding the previous one, it built off of it. We're sad when Coulson dies, so we're happy when The Avengers start kicking Loki's ass. We see the damage and the threat to innocent lives that the invasion poses, so we cheer when The Avengers stop it and we get a kind of emotional release from the Schawrma scene, which is funny, but funny in a way that acknowledges (and is really entirely about) how physically and emotionally drained these characters are after the battle.

The tone changes a lot, but I wouldn't call it inconsistent because it's an organic progression that keeps the audience invested.