View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #279
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
It was his father, T'Chaka, who met Cap up until Hudlin changed it. I'd say keep it that way because Hudlin's run was terrible and needs to be forgotten.
WWII Vets are, what, Eighty now? So T'Chaka had T'Challa in his old age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
So there was a relationship with the military which included providing technological weapons for the US military.

Does anyone do this outside of defense contractors?
Exactly. They had defense contracts. It wasn't what the exclusively did, but wasn't the whole point that that's where all tech goes anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Even suggesting Mandarin is similar to a Bin Laden-type who works for American defense contractors is very "deep" territory. They didn't have to go further.

It was subversive and thought provoking by itself.

I'm not asking for a thesis on imperialism, only that outside forces conspire for Wakanda's vibranium which validates Black Panther's weariness of outsiders.
I agree with all of that, but that's story, which means at the beginning of the movie, it can't be like that. And then you have to include rebuffing black outsiders so it doesn't look like it's about race. Are you willing to have Wakanda either be ********s to the audience or not so wary at first? Like with the Mandarin, being subversive requires subtlety and deception. Anything that can be taken as "We're better because we tell white folks to take a hike," would backfire.