View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #287
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Marvel hasn't said such a thing as far as I know, and I've pored over every statement they've made over the past 4-5 years.
Well here's one:

Quote:
"He has a lot of the same characteristics of a Captain America: great character, good values," said the Marvel exec. "But it's a little more difficult, maybe, creating [a world like Wakanda]. It's always easier basing it here. For instance, 'Iron Man 3' is rooted right here in Los Angeles and New York. When you bring in other worlds, you're always faced with those difficulties."
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/168...medium=twitter

I also remember an interview going more into this and explaining that it's difficult to bring Wakanda to the MCU because of how it's isolated and set up.

Quote:
BP has been and can be integrated into the MCU. If you have questions about how to accomplish this, I get that, but to say it's difficult without knowing about his critically acclaimed stories.
Has been?

Quote:
Connecting BP to the MCU is as easy as using a single character in the same way that Avengers or the Fantastic Four has been used. I suggest then, because this is exactly what BP has done in his origin stories to connect him to the Western World in comics, all you'd have to do is be more specific about who in the Western World we're talking about. Agent Coulson can stand in for Everett Ross or Hawkeye for Kevin Trueblood. Heck, Hulk can stand in for the Avengers, or Eric Svelwig for Reed Richards. They can play the same roles in the story, and connect BP solidly to the MCU without taking the spotlight off of T'Challa. These are not continuity snarls, these are simply what has always been done with Black Panther. You throw in a Captain America flashback, and a Vibranium storyline in Avengers and you're more than golden.

What about this seems difficult? Isn't this the same *exact* thing they did for Captain America? How do we connect it? Well, we have an object from Thor's world and a character from Iron Man's world (And technically a serum from Hulk's movie) and badda-boom. Connection. It's not difficult because these characters - Black Panther not excluded - are naturally connected to other characters.
I understand what you're saying, but here's the thing: You bring in Hulk or some other heroes and then the movie becomes Avengers. That's just the way it is to me. If the movie can't work without other heroes being needed then it should be told in the Avengers. Using SHIELD to connect him at this point doesn't make complete sense to me because if it was something that was so dire that BP needed to go to SHIELD for help then he would have tried to get the Avengers as well. And it's not like you can go any less than those because it doesn't make sense for BP to have some Jane Foster, Eric Selvig, type characters to help connect Wakanda to the Western World, as we're talking about an entire country and again, the situation would have to be dire for T'Challa to go out for help and he would aim for the best he could get. It just doesn't work.

Quote:
Are you sure you're not confusing his country's political stance with the way the character actually works?
I'm saying that his country's political stance would inherently effect how the character works in the movie because it's tied to his origin story. To me you're oversimplifying the situation and are looking at it from the perspective of it just being a Black Panther solo film, not a Black Panther origin film that has to work in the MCU, and all the logistics that comes with.

Quote:
Now if you are just die hard dedicated to the fact that Black Panther just cannot be told as he has been before, and he has to be in an Avengers movie, and even though the Avengers or Fantastic Four act as a unit, and not individuals in these Black Panther origin stories guest starring other heroes, it's just impossible for a single character to function as that connection in the same way - or maybe you just believe the rumors that he, and by implication his origin, will be in Avengers 2, you may want to note that every successful black superhero, that is, Hancock and Blade, have not featured their origin stories. And didn't come off a billion dollar franchise either.
Uhh this is a super run on sentence, I don't really understand what you're saying here.

As for Hancock and Blade, to me those lend themselves more to not having origin stories than Black Panther. T'Challa's inheriting his father's will and becoming leader of Wakanda is something you just can't skim over. Blade is a vampire hunter, not hard to just start of there and maybe tell his backstory in flashbacks. And Hancock is and original movie with Will Smith so that's a completely different thing than either BP or Blade.

Quote:
The idea that the audience would not care about a character whose origin they saw just because it had other heroes doesn't seem to happen in reality. The audience cares about the Hulk, the audience cares about Black Widow. These are characters with 12 minutes of screen time.
That's not what I'm saying. I specifically said that it doesn't make sense unless Black Panther is a breakout star in Avengers 2, like a Hulk was in Avengers. Otherwise you're making a movie based on a character that may have gotten a lukewarm response in Avengers 2 and just assuming people will buy into jumping into his own solo franchise without a strong individual origin movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
They never had trouble "adapting" to the present - their tech is on par if not slightly ahead of most of the rest of the worlds.
I'm not talking about their tech I'm talking about their customs, which are similar to the Inhumans in that they are isolated and don't except any outside help. BP leading them into the future and being more open is a big part of his origin story and tale in general, and it's hard to do that in his own solo films without making them Avengers films with a focus on BP.