View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #227
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Default Re: Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfec

I think I love TDKR now

I started on my first viewing loving it. Loved it the second. Then began looking at comments here. Judged it a little on my third and then merely enjoyed it on my fourth. Then gradually over time and more time being on here I started regarding TDKR as a bit of a disappointment.

I watched the film now twice over the past two days (both times with people who haven't seen it. They all loved it) and have both times finished thinking that I was crazy for regarding it as a disappointment. It is a wonderful film.

I think its ambition is a big part of it for me. This isn't a studio film (an impression I had after my second viewing) I don't normally hate opinions but I hate it when I've seen people on here saying Nolan wasn't trying his best. I'm sorry but a director who isn't trying his best or really caring does not come out with a film as ambitious as The Dark Knight Rises for a final film.

Just a few points that (to me) make it ambitious -
- Batman not appearing till a long way in to the film
- The main character being beaten as brutally as Bats was half way through
- The baddie actually taking the city and having it for as long
- The hero retiring for good
- Batman having less than 10 minutes of screentime
- Not resorting to killing a main character to tug at the heartstrings
- Bruce barely being Batman (when you think about it he was Batman for little over a year) he does his job and leaves
- Bane's voice
- Being almost 3 hours long
- Having long moments without action

And quite a few more. Now not many will agree but I think making a film like this is ballsy. It could have backfired badly. I sat through a lot of the film thinking "How were you allowed to tell your story like this? Where is the producer telling Nolan to put him into the suit and fight?" he really takes his time. Unfortunately the second half is a bit more cramped but it still tells its story and fleshes it out as much as possible. Everything was important, I'm normally very much like "What was the point of that?" in films but never here.

The pit scenes for example people were saying were pointless but they provided a lot for the film. Talia's backstory, Bane's story, set up for the twist (blah *the twist was crap though* blah I expect someone to say ), Bruce finding fear, more of Ra's. I really don't think I appreciated this film before but I really do now.

I can now safely say that TDKR is a Nolan-esque film (a feeling I didn't get first time), a story that has a lot going on with a twist that has more than enough pointers that allow you to figure it out before hand as long as you pay attention. This ranks up with his best for me. I will also say that The Dark Knight Trilogy is his greatest work to date.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Last edited by Deserana; 11-17-2012 at 06:36 AM.