View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #245
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfec

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
TDK certainly had major things lifted from the comics that extended beyond just scenes. The whole concept of Joker trying to corrupt one of Batman's allies is straight out of The Killing Joke, and Jonah and Goyer said that flat out. Which was a major, major plot point, not just a nod like the Batman/Gordon/Dent rooftop scene (to The Long Halloween) and the countless other nods in all three films. That's a major anchor that the themes of the entire movie rest upon.

Not to mention, there are some uncanny similarities there to Steve Englehart's Dark Detective, to the point where Englehart claimed that the movie plagiarized him. Granted, I think he's WAY out of line with those accusations but I have no doubt that Goyer had to have at least come across that story in their research. There's as about as much basis to say that as there is to say that Nolan didn't have any passion for Rises.

Bottom line, for this film they wanted to go larger scale and as a result they referenced Batman stories that were on a larger scale. And it's unfair to just single out Nolan for the shape of the story. Goyer and Jonah Nolan have just as much to do with what the script ended up becoming, and those are the two comics nerds of the trio. Same can be said for TDK (and BB too- Jonah was uncredited for his work on that one).
I'm not talking about the overall story. I'm talking about individual scenes. There are many scenes in TDKR that are exactly like certain scenes in the comics down to almost every line of dialogue. You're right when it comes to the overall story of TDK being influenced by the comics but I was specifically talking about individual scenes. TDKR has more individual scenes that mirror individual scenes in the comics than BB and TDK did (and in my opinion, some of them don't work well together in the context of the movie).