View Single Post
Old 06-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #97
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Default Re: Original Actors returning - Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
That's because X3 and Origins all but killed the franchise. It took a couple of good films to right the ship. Same thing that happened with Batman after Batman & Robin and why Batman Begins didn't do so well.

There is no way you can convince me that James Marsden and Famke Janssen are bigger draws as actors than Hugh Jackman and Jennifer Lawrence right now.
And as if the star power of the actors who appeared in these X-Men films is the sole reason why people watch X-Men films. Thats just not the case. Famke Jannsen and James Marsden were not exactly super popular actors when X1/X2/X3 came out and those films were still successful.
Quote:
If the OT cast have a good story reason to be there as in DoFP, that's fine. I can't think of one, but there might be something I haven't thought of. But to include them soley as a marketing gimmick would be awful.
If the comics can go on for decades, I don't see no reason why they can't come up a story for the OT cast's fifth X-Men film.

Quote:
Other than Jackman, probably not a lot. Stewart and McKellen and to a lesser extent Page, maybe a little. The others were just 3 second cameos and minor appearances alongside new characters like Warpath, Blink, and Bishop. The First Class cast, plus Wolverine, plus coming off two good X-Men films is the reason there was a jump in box office.
And yet, The Wolverine earned less money than First Class at the American box-office? Its pretty much clear that Hugh Jackman's X-Men movies with his fellow original cast members bank more money at the box-office compare to his solo Wolverine movies. And like I said the original cast were pretty heavily featured on the marketing. Its not really about their star power that drove the mainstream viewers to watch the movie but mostly its the nostaglia factor, they could be all has been at this moment but the original cast members will forever be the ones that started this franchise and made it successful in the first place and them coming back together for the 1st time in 8 years is one of the selling points of this movie. Just with the big reaction of the audience when they saw Famke/James at the end of the movie pretty much said it all. The audience didn't have a reaction because they are well-known actors, but mostly because they are well-known to the X-Men characters that they are playing in the series.

And people keep bringing up this "star power" of the original cast and like as if the star power of Hugh Jackman/Famke Jannsen/Halle Berry/James Marsden/Anna Paquin and the rest of the original cast was the reason why the original trilogy films became really successful in the first place. FYI, the X-Men films made Hugh Jackman a superstar. People didn't watch the original films to see popular actors, you know. I seriously doubt thats the case for DOFP. And sure they might not be as popular as Jennifer Lawrence and they are not getting high-profile movies as Michael Fassbender but they are portraying the most well-known X-Men characters and the audience are already familiar with the characters that they are portraying. Star power is always a plus, but the star power of Jennifer Lawrence/Hugh Jackman are not the #1 reason why people saw DOFP and why there's a suddenly a big jump at the box-office.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 06-08-2014 at 01:21 PM.
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote