View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #148
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
Don't see it. Bruce Wayne is all about Gotham, don't see why he would care enough to launch a crusade to protect Metropolis.

To be honest, I don't see any "ordinary" scenario that would make Batman and Superman combatants. A team-up rife with disagreement re. the methods used to resolve conflict sure, but Batman going after Superman, or Superman going after Batman, never, under ordinary circumstance(i.e. bereft of mind control, or Frank Miller's "elseworld" The Dark Knight Returns type scenario, etc.)

I recall a post a month or so back that proposed Bruce Wayne/Batman going after Superman on the behalf of Lex Luthor. The poster claimed to have insider info. He said that Wayne and Luthor were friends and Wayne was ignorant of Luthor's "dark side". If so this rationale for a Batman /Superman throwdown would be horrible!
I think it might be more about Bruce realizing his mission to save Gotham means nothing when the whole Earth is at the mercy of Gods like Superman. Luthor might actually seem like a pretty worthwhile partnership to Bruce in terms of minimizing that threat and being preemptively ready to deal with such a threat until Lex's obsession with bringing Superman down starts toeing that moral line that guides Bruce, and he starts to realize that Superman, despite his incredible potential for dominance is really the opposite in mindset. Really would be a great intro to Bruce's idea of having 'a contingency for everyone' like he does in the JL. Just a guess, but would definitely be an angle I'd support, and it makes a lot of sense considering all he probably has seen of Superman is his extraordinary abilities and that he will kill another being. We all know how cautious Bruce is when it comes to things like that.