View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #816
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Default Re: The Official "Get Marvel's Rights Back!" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I agree, though I can't see Disney offering permanent rights for any of their characters. Marvel made enough of those deals in the 90s to realize the words "in perpetuity" should never appear in any future contracts involving their characters.

The only "stick" that Disney/Marvel has regarding the FF and X-Men is in movie merchandising. I certainly don't think it was a coincidence that there was nary an X-Men: First Class action figure, t-shirt or backpack sprinkled among the Captain America and Thor displays at national discounters in 2011. And that stores were flooded with Spider-man merchandise in 2012 after Disney/Marvel bought back all of their merchandising rights from Sony.

I can't see Disney/Marvel taking retail space away from its Star Wars and Avengers franchises in 2015 to support the FF reboot. And while Fox's X-Men franchise had a few items for sale (Wolverine claws!), there was a ton of FF stuff available for the first two films, most of which ended up in our house: Stretchable Mr. Fantastic, Human Torch Mask and Gloves, Thing Hands and Feet, Fantasticar Playset, FF T-shirts and backpacks. If Disney/Marvel controls the merchandising rights, as they did with the Sony Spider-man joint venture, then Fox would be missing out on a potentially very valuable revenue stream - unless they were willing to make a deal.
lets also keep in mind most of those "merchandising" is actually all made by Hasbro which currently holds the production rights to ALL of marvel.

with hasbro currently having the rights to both Marvel and Star Wars... it wouldn't really shock me if Disney eventually buys them out too..

spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote